Together we're unlimited
Wednesday, 4 May 2011 @ political apathy is the way to go
I'm rather peeved. Why is it that most people who support the opposition seem to think that it makes them sound very intelligent when they make poorly disguised snide remarks about the ruling party? The only person who's been able to still maintain a balanced viewpoint while articulating his support for opposition parties is mr chew. Almost everyone else just resorts to personal attacks...

Traits of annoying voters:

1) Those who type long angst-y/ rant-y posts about about LKY, the PAP, GY, TPL... then wrap it up with a phrase, followed by a smiley face, something like "epic fail :)". You can totally sense the triumph oozing out of it ._. If I were to narrate what's happening in this person's head, it'd be something like "Hah, I managed to argue my point of view with such outstanding passion, yet maintain my composure through it all. I'm even gracious enough to bestow upon this lowly being smiley. Such a virtuous and morally upright person am I! Which is also why I'm going to vote for opposition!"

2) Those who think that all supporters of the PAP are stupid ah sohs who cannot look beyond the past achievements of the PAP into the bright future, where the WP will solve all problems with housing, poverty, the elderly, and then they will also narrow the income gap. The WP is even on par with the gods! They can call for wind and summon rain (呼风唤雨), and make AMK and Bishan flood during campaigning week! Wah really must vote for them.

3) This should go right on top, but... oh well.
Those who go on and on about how LKY should just die, or make jokes about his imminent death. Hey, I get it that you don't like the dude, alright? You don't really have to wish for his death, that's just rude. Don't like how he talks, turn off the TV/radio when you hear his voice. Don't read his books. Don't vote for him. Don't vote for PAP. Do whatever you want. But telling him to go and die is just... unacceptable? Whether or not one is religious or otherwise (where I belong to the latter group), you just don't wish for someone's death.

4) Double standards. People who get so angry at the condescending tone that certain members of the ruling party tend to use (believe me, it annoys me too), then turn around and call people who support the PAP stupid. ._. In addition to the labels of 'stupid', we are also 'un-analytical', 'gullible', 'afraid of change' etc... and supporters of the PAP are either dumb ah sohs or rich and pampered brats, who don't want to opposition (representatives of the poor, weak and underrepresented) to come into power and take everything away from us. Gee. I'd like to see them try.

5) One last thing... people who complain that ministers only bother coming out to meet the people during the campaigning week. And that besides this short span of time, they don't care. I'd very much rather my ministers focus on handling the never ending issues my country faces with respect to other countries, than come by my neighbourhood to shake my hand. That is not to say I don't think the higher ups need to connect with the grassroots. I'm one of those ivory-tower-brat haters who think that arrogant people who don't understand and cannot empathise with what people at the ground level are thinking deserve to be kicked real hard. But I also think that they are better at formulating policies than you (referring to the general you), so you might perhaps want to stick to giving feedback and letting them analyze the data and consolidate them into comprehensible, workable solutions for you.


And so, to cut a long story short, to avoid getting drawn into this big mess where everyone has probably gotten so worked up over nothing... political apathy is the way to go. (Y) Also, while this post may have political undertones, it was intended to be more of a social thing, fundamentally.

(Point #5 is filled with loopholes and leaps of (ill-thought through) logic ._. it shall be a work-in-progress)

Believe
the greatest thing you'll ever learn
is just to love and be loved in return

Wicked
fiona

Measure in Love
Your time is up.

Credits
.fourth!Romance is the designer.
Inspiration from Exuvalia and mintypeach.